Thursday, June 14, 2012

Day 17: Thursday June 14, 2012

We woke this morning to the smell of cinnamon, how awesome is that?? My cousin Lori made homemade cinnamon rolls to go along with the egg casserole she made for us! What a hostess! After visiting over breakfast Dave and I loaded up the bikes and headed out to the farm which is only about 5 miles from town. My cousin Sonia was working in the quonset hut when we arrived. The quonset houses many tractors and the workshop that my grandpa Ernst and uncle Morris used to repair the equipment. We walked around the farmyard and the smells of the oats and grains triggered memories of my youth when we would visit the farm. So too did the smells of the barn and the garage and the fresh cut grasses. I was 12 years old again! Sonia then took us out into the pasture on the Kubota to check on the cows and new calves. I also got a history lesson and shown where the original homestead sod house was built, which is depicted by the rock patterns. We got back from touring several pastures and aunt Dorothy had made a hearty lunch for us. We then got on the road about 2:00 pm and after riding only 2 1/2 hours in the hot wind we were tired and called it a day. We stopped in Pierre for the night. We only travelled 126 miles today for a total of 4311.

Hebrews 6:7 Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and produces a crop useful to those for whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God.

9 comments:

  1. Oh! What a wonderful visit you must have had with the family!! They do excell in hospitality and fabulous cooking!! So glad you got to see them!! :-)
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great! We need to come back here and stay a spell.

      Steve

      Delete
  2. Don't be expecting homemade cinnamon rolls at my house I'll buy you guys some donuts
    Love you both
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been so enjoyable to reconnect with you, Steve! Thanks for including us in your travels, and so great to meet Dave! We, as a family, know how blessed we are here, and TO GOD BE THE GLORY! Your visit this week has made us thankful for such good times. God's continued protection as you ride on. Hello, from all of us, to the whole family in California! Love, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok fellas, I love you both and I've been following the blog religiously. The photos are spectacular but I just had to chime in on the shots with the steers. You've both seen "Officer and a gentleman" i'm sure and when I looked at these shots all I could say was in the words of Louis Gossett Jr., as the drill sargeant. "the only thing from _______ is steers and _________ and boys I don't see no horns.... well you get the picture, lol.

    Love you guys, be safe out there!!

    Marco

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have enjoyed your trip and pictures and now as you wend your
    buns back to Texas we send you a gold wing and a prayer.
    Eric/Angela/Lyn/Joe

    ReplyDelete