Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Day 13 Tuesday July 1, 2014

We left Eau Claire with sunny skies. We caught Interstate 94 East toward Madison, WI. Not long after we were on the freeway we were under cloud cover. Fortunately, we never got rained on. We were able to stop and get a couple pictures of the farms I mentioned yesterday. However, the best views of the farms were not at the places we stopped but around the corner from where we stopped. Figures! I do miss having Myrna on the ride with me taking pictures. She did such a wonderful job last ride taking pictures from the backseat of the bike (while in motion). It is so difficult to stop along the freeway and get off the bike and take some pictures then get back into the traffic. Well we did the best we could and still be safe. One of the things that really stood out to me today on our brief ride was the freeway speeds. This was our first time on the Interstate and the posted speed limit is 65 MPH, I truly believe that is only a "suggested" speed. The drivers were travelling at 80+ MPH, including the truckers! The weird thing was the two or three State Troopers we passed along the way did not seem interested in pursuing the speeders. Not sure what to take from this...

Wisconsin farm along the freeway
The first cows we saw in WI

 

After only 3 hours we were in Madison. We travelled past the Capitol of Wisconsin (which is very similar in appearance to California's Capitol) and arrived at the Hyatt in downtown Madison. We checked into the hotel and then went over to the Alliant Energy Center where the Wing Ding is held. We picked up our registration packet and roamed around as some of the vendors were setting up in the parking lot. The Wing Ding officially opens tomorrow morning at 8am. We left the Alliant Center and had lunch. After lunch I washed the grime off my bike and Dave went up stairs to get some R&R. After washing the bike I needed to do some housekeeping so I walked to the laundermat to wash my clothes. While doing my laundry I met the nicest couple form Atlanta (Walter & Stacy) who were on their way to California and the Pacific Northwest attending the California State Fair and other Fairs and trade shows for Birds Eye. We had a very enjoyable visit while waiting for our clothes to wash and dry. This trip has been filled with fascinating, genuine people and a renewed hope in America. The two things I enjoy most about travelling across this great country I love is the incredible beauty and the wonderful people. I am so proud to be an American!

Madison WI Capitol
4 wheel Hanigan Gold Wing
BMW Trike for Doug
My dirty Wing
My shiny Wing
Walter and Stacy! Love them!

 

Tonight Dave and I went to dinner at Essen Haus a German restaurant that we walked a several blocks to. While walking to dinner I saw for the first time fire flies!, I was so excited because Courtney and I bought some electric fire flies that we had in our backyard. I was amazed at how authentic the electric flies looked in comparison to the real deal. What a treat! Thanks Dave for pointing them out to me. Our ride was only 188 miles today for a total of 3936 miles from Paso Robles CA to Madison WI.

Dave caught a fire fly

 

 

German Restaurant

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment